Tuesday, June 18, 2024

It's Time To Write Again

 I stayed with my daughter last month while hubby had an emergency trip home because his father passed away. Between all the excessive rain, cold and now heat, farmers have struggled to plant and my daughter and her hubby have struggled with weeds and tall grass. I had just started to put plants out when the emergency happened, so I put them back inside. They all lived, even the orchids, which are new to me.

I twisted my left knee again about 3 months ago, so healing has been an uphill battle. Just after it got better it got worse. It swelled up, slightly, and hurt again. The location seems to indicate meniscus tear, medial collateral ligament (MCL) injury, or bursitis. An X-ray is always ordered, according to Medicare, but inflammation doesn't show on an X-ray. I opted for a cortisone shot. It helped, for about 2 weeks. 

Then to make matters worse, one night I woke up about five in the morning feeling nauseous. I got up and I almost passed out. I managed to grab my blood pressure cuff and sat down. My blood pressure was low, 68/53. Just when I was thinking to call 911 my pressure started coming up. I made myself some salty water (homemade electrolytes) and called a nurse on duty. She said "call 911". By then I was feeling better and my pressure was normal, but she advised coming to the hospital to get checked out.

Since I felt stable I waited till hubby came home from work. He took me right to the ER. They put in an IV, hooked me up to a heart monitor and BP cuff, and took blood and later a urine sample. Diagnosis...severe dehydration and a UTI. I got antibiotics and 2 IV bags of fluids. I was in the ER for about 5 hours. So far I have not gotten a bill. They told me it would be $125. Not bad.

A few days later my knee swelled up again, only more, and was a little pink. It was still puffy and pink after the weekend, so I notified my doctor. I asked if the antibiotics caused that. She didn't think so. 

Frustrated with Ibuprofen (I swell up when I take it.....hey, maybe that's they key to avoiding the dehydration?) I bought some Boswellia, which is supposed to help with joint pain. The jury is still out. I'm working on strengthening my legs, which should help with the knee. 

In spite of the knee problems, I am able to walk on flat surfaces, so weather permitting, we have been staying active. Last weekend we went to Port Washington. We visited an herb and tea shop called The Spice & Tea Exchange. We bought Alderwood Smoked Sea Salt and Hickory Smoked Sea Salt, and a Blue Raspberry Herbal Tea that brews up blue, unless you add lemon, then it turns purple.

Next Saturday (if the weather is good) we want to drive down to Kenosha. We hear it has a fun lakefront with a trolley car, museums and shopping. We have been to Sheboygan twice and enjoyed our visits. 

No comments: