Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Just Checking In

Today is snowing and blowing. More snow coming Saturday, with a chance of freezing rain. Not fun. We are looking forward to spring. I can't say that enough.

Diabetic class #2 is tomorrow. I hope I learn something useful. Mostly I just learn that the way I need to eat is the way I can't eat. Nuts! Fish! More nuts! More fish! Snack on nuts! I love nuts but I can't freakin eat nuts. I mostly hate fish.

I ate a big salad. It helped. I also nosh on raw cauliflower. I make a dip from sour cream and onion powder, with some salt. Yeah, fattening but what to do. I chew gum. That gets my mind off snacking. However I have real issues with going to bed hungry, like not being able to sleep. Raw veggies are not the ideal snack before bed. Ugh. I test 2 times per day, once in the morning (fasting) and once at bedtime. I need to wait 2 hours after eating before testing. So if I eat at 7 pm and snack at 9 I'm good to test between 11 pm and midnight. The problem happens if I'm hungry at midnight, or I test and I'm under 120. Yeah, that should be fine for most people, but I have woken up too low (risk from Glipizide). So I have half a glass of milk and a small carb. Fasting glucose is a crap shoot. It's usually high. Exercise would help. I know that.

I'm 150 pounds right now. I would like to get under 150, maybe 145 to 148. It's difficult. Glipizide causes a 5 to 10 pound weight gain. I went up to 160 after starting that medication, and I am happy to be back down. Anyway, I'm 5'6" tall so my BMI is normal, but any and all fat I have is attached to my stomach. Weird.

I take the generic form of Prilosec. My nurse friend had a fit when she found out. She told me I will have bone loss for sure. She said my calcium supplements won't be absorbed. I don't take calcium supplements. I've also never broken a bone. I see my doc in April. I'll talk to her. Without the prilosec I can't eat anything without noshing on Tums, which make me horribly constipated. I also don't miss being rudely awakened at night breathing in stomach acid. It's horribly painful and frightening, and I need to sit up and cough for an hour or more. Without the Prilosec I can't use even a drop of oil, nor can I take vitamin D or krill oil.

In spite of all this, I am doing better. The sadness is starting to drift away as the days get longer.

My hubby has an opportunity to advance at work, in a different department. He is looking to make the switch after vacation this spring.

Well, I need to do some stuff, so I will sign off for now.


No comments: