Thursday, December 28, 2017

Sort of a Good Time

We buzzed down to Indiana on Saturday and enjoyed dinner with my daughter, her hubby and two of their friends. It was a fancy restaurant. The food was good, however I wasn't thrilled with what I ordered. We stayed at my daughter's through Christmas. I was great to see her and her hubby and his kids. What made it a "sort of a good time" was my heavy heart. It really hit me when we were on the way home. Driving past the area where my daughter was buried, driving past the old neighborhood where I raised her....I didn't feel better until we crossed into Wisconsin.

I saw my doctor on Wednesday. My thyroid is low (again), so my medicine is getting adjusted up. I've been tired, depressed and gaining weight. I'm up to 160, which is a shock. I haven't been that heavy in years. My doc said one of my medicines is notorious for causing weight gain. Well, that could explain it, as I am not eating like I was when I was beginning this new life, learning to live without my daughter.

My doc wants to change my medicine, but oh joy of joys....Medicare has very few Tier 1 diabetes medicines. A couple are Tier 2 and the rest are 3 or 4. What that means is most of them are going to cost hundreds of dollars per month. I refuse to ding our savings and max out our income unless it is absolutely necessary. My husband would do anything for me, pay anything, but then we will have nothing. I'm trying to find a reasonable-cost alternative here.

Oh...coupons? GoodRX? Company subsidies? Oh...you thought I could use them? Buhahahahahaha, sorry, welcome to the real world. I'm on Medicare. Yes, I have Medigap insurance and a Part D drug plan. No coupons. No GoodRX. Nope...not allowed. Subsidies from drug companies? My husband works and makes money for us to buy groceries and pay rent and put money into savings so he can visit his elderly parents in Europe. "Need help paying for your medicine?" Nope...don't qualify. So, basically I'm married and not poor enough for help. If I become destitute then everything is free. But because we are struggling middle class, I am in the "nope" class.

Enough of all that depressing stuff. I'm going to start the higher dosage of  thyroid medicine tomorrow. Judging from past experience, I should start to feel better in 2 or 3 days. It will probably pick up my mood as well as my energy. I seriously need that. I really want to enter the new year feeling better.

No comments: